Wikipedia is a website that allows massive user editing. I would say it is a dictionary of everything in the world, it gives definition to them and related materials will be shown together when you searched for people , things or whatever you want to know. I do find wiki a useful tool as it really help me out when I have no idea of what that thing or concept is about and who the person is. For instance, when doing my assignment, I wanted to find out what black and white film symbolised or why only black and white colour is used in those films, wiki could tell me it is about artistic or cost reduction. It not only tells me why but also whose thoughts were they from.
However, some scholars criticise wiki is not trustworthy as editors are of massive, whoever from the planet is allowed to edit the posts. Well, to a certain degree I do agree with it but what I find wiki good is not whether or not it is telling the correct things, but there is massive information for reference. No matter they are true or not, it do allow me to get myself familiar to the things I want to know. I won't trust every single word from wiki but I will make them useful by doing further research on what I got from wiki to confirm their accurancy. I guess no other place you can find so much knowledge about things around you.
Wiki is good because it is a convenient searching machine but not a truth telling machine. Good or bad? You know it!

It is true that Wiki is two-blade sword. The impact it brings about mainly depending on the way we manipulate it. We can't utterly trust what we see from wiki before any analysis. However, the amount of knowledge it contains does help us a lot and simplify our effort in researching. So we better use it wisely ^^
ReplyDeleteYa,agree. Sometimes we need to read critically
ReplyDelete