Everything is just so packed in the new timeline layout and they are trying to place everything in the centre of the webpage. I found it especially not reader friendly when one's has so many long posts. The previous lesson of Writing for New Media reminded me when I started noticing the importance of layout, the modality.
At first, I thought the modality theory wasn't familiar to me as I didn't use it and it didn't sound useful. However, after a while, I realised that I have been using it since I was a kid, unconsciously. The reason is that as I have browsed through thousands of webpages, I started to have a concepts of how a webpage is designed and where does particular information appears in a webpage, then I could applied the concepts to new webpages I visited and find things I wanted to find. This is about layout of a webpage, that's MODALITY!!! I have been using it since I was a kid without knowing I can? OMG! what else have I been doing without knowing i can? I don't know...
WHAT ABOUT YOU?


This post really made me laugh - I love your title and use of caps! Thanks for the interesting observations. Just one minor point - instead of 'modality' what you really mean is 'multimodality', i.e. the combination of multiple modes like text, graphics, images, sound and so on.
ReplyDeleteI hate that layout:( I dun want timeline.
ReplyDeletehow to change it back to old style? i dun want it.
Christoph: thank you so much for the correction!!! It's so great to have you commenting on my post, it's so motivating!!!
ReplyDeleteChifung Tse: haha me too! you better try sending a email to Mark Zuckerberg lol
I've got the same feeling. Despite of being a frequent Internet-user for more than 10 yrs, I haven't noticed or cared much about the layout of a webpage...until recently.
ReplyDeletep.s. I love your choice of picture for original layout, that's so creative!!